Friday, January 26, 2007

I Used to Love Roller Coasters


Once, Bill and I went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg on a weekday while kids were still in school. The park was pretty empty, so most of the rides had no lines. When we rode our favorite roller coaster, the Lock Ness Monster, the kid running it said that as long as no one was waiting in line, we could keep riding as long as we wanted. After about the 5th trip, I finally had to say “uncle” and climb off the ride. (Bill made it through two more times.) When I got off, my stomach was churning and my head felt like I’d been hit with a hammer. The ride I loved so much, taken in large doses, was more than I could handle.

My life right now is starting to feel a lot like that roller coaster ride. Each morning I wake up with hope in my heart that this could be the day,

CLACK, CLACK, CLACK, CLACK, CLACK, keep your hands and feet inside the car folks, here we go. UP! UP! UP!

This could be the day.
This could be the day.
This could be the day.

All day long, I walk around with the tension/excitement/stress building.

All evening, I wait for the phone to ring. Woe unto the poor soul who dares to call me while I’m waiting for “the call”. I told some poor girl soliciting for my alma mater to please leave me alone, “I’m waiting for a very important call, and you’re tying up my line.” Yes, I do have call waiting, thank you very much, but I don’t want to take ANY chances on missing the call!

Then finally, about 9 pm, I check my email to see if I’ve received the “sorry, no mail today” message from Stefani. SSSWWWOOOOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. There we go, down to the very bottom again.

No TA today.
No TA today.
No TA today.

The emotional roller coaster of waiting and hoping and praying for word that I can bring my daughter home has the same physical effects as the Lock Nest Monster – my stomach keeps churning like a cement mixer, and I feel like someone’s been using my head for batting practice.

But you know what, this time, I can’t get off the ride. Not until I hear those magic words – you’ve got TA!

Soon? Please?

No comments:

Current Time in China