Friday, November 30, 2007

Operation Happy Holidays!

This weekend, the babies and I are going to put together a care package to send to my cousin, Doug. Doug, who is just a few days older than I am, is currently serving with the US Army in a war zone (see how in tune I am with OPSEC – I'm not posting exactly where his unit is, just that it is in a war zone). Doug has spent his whole adult life serving our country, and now, at the ripe old age of 42 (I can say that, 'cause I'm 42 myself) he is still serving! So, we want him to know how much we love him and appreciate all the sacrifices he's had to make. OBaby is especially excited about making a care package. She's not 100% sure she remembers who Doug is (she's only seen him twice), but she knows that he is part of our "fambily" and that's all that really matters. I've been checking on line to see what kinds of things we should send. Personally, I haven't sent a care package overseas since the days of Desert Storm, the Original. Then, I was sending them to boys I'd been stationed with in England. So, we'll go out tomorrow and stock up on trail mix and gum, beef jerky and playing cards, and candy and magazines. Then, on Monday I'll be making a trip to the post office since Monday is the deadline for sending packages before Christmas. Did you know that you can get a flat-rate box and the post office that will allow you to ship anything that fits in the box, regardless of weight, for just $8.95 since military APO addresses are considered domestic mail? What a bargain! If any of you would like to send a care package to a service man or woman in a war zone but you don't know anyone who is currently serving, you can go to the web site called Soldier's Angels that will match you with a soldier who you can "adopt". Unfortunately, there are lots of men and women over there who don't have anyone at home to send them any mail. I know we plan to send plenty of stuff so that Doug can share with the others in his unit. It's a little thing we can do for those who do so much for us. Hey, if you don't want to adopt a soldier, email me and you can just send a package to Doug to share with his unit! Come on, I'm trying to make this easy for you!

No comments:

Current Time in China