Monday, August 13, 2007

Saying Good bye to An Old Friend

Today, I had to do the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life. I had to make the decision to have my dog, Marbles, put down. He is 11 years old, and I’ve had him since he was 4 months old. He is my longest lasting relationship, and he has been a true friend to me for more than 10 years. I love the old boy.

The first time I saw Marbles, I thought he was blind in his left eye because of the color. He had one brown eye and one blue – they looked like a pair of marbles (hence the name). He was at that awkward not really a puppy, but not a grown dog either stage. I knew the first time I saw him that he was supposed to be my dog.

The first months were rough. He destroyed everything in his path. We tried crate training, and he ate the pad in his crate. We let him play outside, and he ate the hot tub cover and pulled all of the landscape lighting up out of the backyard. I literally had to stand between him and Bill that day to keep Bill from pummeling him!

But, he outgrew the chewing and became a well-behaved dog. Ok, so he flunked obedience training 3 times, but that was more me than him. He just knew that I wasn’t mean enough to be the boss. Oh, well. He still had pretty good manners – no jumping (except on my sister) and no licking people’s faces (I hate that!).

We had a few rough times and nursed him through a couple of serious illnesses. At times it seemed silly to spend that kind of money on a dog, but back then, we had it to spend, and we felt like we’d made a commitment to care for him.

When Bill died, Marbles became my reason to get out of bed in the morning. He mourned with me, he comforted me when I cried, and through it all, he just loved me. What more could you ask for from a dog?

I’ll admit, Marbles was more than a little put out when O Baby came home. By then, he was used to it just being the two of us, and he really wasn’t interested in sharing his mamma with that “thing”. But, in time, he grew to well, ok, I won’t say love, but he grew to accept her. I think he realized that she was important to mamma, therefore, she became important to him. For her part, she adored him. Her first attempt at his name, “Waba” became a nickname that stuck, even after she learned to say Marbles.

By the time Y Baby came home, Marbles was pretty much resolved to the fact that he was never going to be top dog again. He accepted her right away, and she thought he was ok, too. Marbles was a good little mother’s helper. He would come find me when the baby was crying, and I could always count on him to clean up the floor after a messy meal.

It’s a horrible thing to have to decide to let your pet go, but it is the biggest responsibility a pet owner has. Knowing that I did what I needed to do doesn’t make at any easier. I love that dog, and I would have held on to him forever if I could. But, it was time. Time to say goodbye, buddy. And I like to think that Bill is there, waiting for him on the other side of Rainbow Bridge – in a place where they can play tug and share cheeseburgers again.



Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

6 comments:

Jeff and Rose said...

Oh, Donna, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. The loss of a pet leaves such a big hole in your heart and in your home.

I totally believe that pets go to the best parts of heaven.
My deepest condolence.
Rose

Sandra said...

(((HUGS))) to you and your family, Donna. You made the brave and right decision, even if it wasn't an easy one. My heart goes out to you.

Julie and Steve said...

Donna - I know you from the SAC list. I cried when I read your post. I know my dog was the one "person" who was there for me when I went through my divorce. The thought of putting her down one day is horrible. Please know we are all praying you will find solace during this time. Marbles is indeed in a wonderful place with Bill. Hold onto that picture in your mind, although I'm sure it doesn't make you miss either of them any less. Take care.

JoAnn in NJ said...

Hi Donna,
I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved Marbles. It's the good people in life that can love an animal so dearly and mourn its passing. Loving my kittie babies are as vital to me as breathing!

Marbles and Bill are together, I'm sure.

Take care and comfort in O and Y :)
JoAnn in NJ

RamblingMother said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. I am just now getting around to post but I did see this and thought of you guys earlier.
Beverly

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna......I'm so sorry to hear you had to put down Marbles! It is hard to make that decision.

I'm sure Marbles had one heck of a life with you and the kids! :o)



Kristen

PS, LOVE your comments on RQ! YES! Thank you for speaking up for us SN moms/dads!

Current Time in China