Monday, April 21, 2008

The Babies Unplugged


Today is the day we cut ourselves off from all forms of electronic entertainment – no television, no computer (at home, folks, I have to use one at work), no video games (like we actually have any to begin with), no DVDs. That’s it. We’ve pulled the plug. We’re going cold turkey. Well, sort of. Um, I’m still watching about 15 minutes of local news in the morning so I can catch the weather. In April it could be near 80 (like today) or cold and raining and the kids need a coat. So, I have to watch the weather. And a little bit of news, just so I know what’s going on in the world. But that’s it. Oh, and Survivor. Yeah, we’re making an exception during our week unplugged for Survivor because, um, it’s Survivor. Hello? We can’t miss it! James might get voted off!

But the internet? The internet is gone. I canceled it. Over and out. No more Mommy on the computer in the evenings. Not even after this week is over. See, Olivia told me that I spend all my time on the computer. Not true, of course, but it is her perception, and I don’t want her to remember her childhood with Mommy sitting at the computer all the time. So, bye-bye high-speed internet. Man, I’m going to miss you and that cute little way you have of taking me anywhere I want to go in the virtual world. Sigh.

So, instead of electronic entertainment, we are going to spend our week playing outside, doing crafts, reading, and playing games. Heaven help me. What am I supposed to do at 2 am when I wake up and can't go back to sleep? I have a feeling this may be a very, very long week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You cancelled your internet at home? You are my hero! I worry about my kids remembering Mommy on the computer all the time, but I don't know if I could outright cancel it. My excuse is that I don't have a "real job" to go to for a computer, so I have to have it...plus there is the blog. Seriously though, I AM impressed. Good luck with your week and let us know how it goes for you!

Current Time in China