Monday, April 07, 2008

Help Me!

You know the old joke about how you spend the first 2 years of a child’s life trying to get them to talk, then the next 16 trying to get them to shut up? Yeah, well, I taught Ying to say something that I am really starting to regret (and no, Mom, it’s not ARM PIT – nor is it a profanity). She had a habit of going into a different room, then crying because she wanted something. Well, a couple of time she was in another room crying because she had gotten herself into a situation that she couldn’t get out of. Unfortunately for her, I was so used to the crying because she couldn’t reach the rubber duck in the bottom of the tub or get the hall closet doors open that I didn’t respond quickly when she really needed me (like the time her fingers were stuck in the doggy door – hey, I told her not to put her hand in there!). So, I taught her to ask for help – specifically to say “HELP ME” when she is hurt or stuck and needs Mama to come help her. Stupid, stupid Mommy. We now have an average of 7 “help me” situations a day. I’ll be busy making dinner or throwing some laundry into the washer when I’ll hear “Mama, help me, help me”. Yeah, help me get some strawberry milk. Help me strap Blue Bear into the stroller. Help me take my pajamas off. Not one time has “help me” been used in an actual emergency type situation. She’s like that little boy crying wolf. Pretty soon I’m going to stop responding to the “help mes” – and you know as soon as I do she’ll get her hair caught in the dryer door. Some lifes, you just can’t win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dee Dee,

You crack me up! I am laughing out loud.

L & K

Mom

Jeff and Rose said...

OMG!! We are living parallel lives! I taught Lachlan to say "Help me, mama" (yeah, she got her fingers suck in a bedroom drawer, in the dishwasher and in the dryer door in the same week). I swear it is the only thing that she says all day long. There are never any emergencies for this phrase, just exhausting requests for juvenile assistance. I feel the same way--I've already started to second guess each request and I know it is just a matter of time until I find her upside down in her toy box.

Current Time in China